Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Current challenge: copying a designer dress...for less!

My current client has asked to have a pattern made for her wedding gown. Her Aunt has always wanted to make her dress. A good way to save money on your wedding! I was happy to do this unusual request. She would like to have her dress as close as I can get to this beautiful Maggie Sottero gown called "Madison Marie". Of course I won't copy it exactly, but I am hoping to pull off a similar style. This dress is designed as a one piece but I will be dividing it into 3 parts: bust, mid-section, skirt. With these following details:
  • cross-over sweetheart neckline with ruching
  • ruched asymmetrical mid-section
  • a-line skirt with side gather and slight train
It will be lined and boned for added support. I have completed the block (foundation pattern for design) which I create from a series of calculations based on the person's measurements. Here is a great resource: Drafting a Basic Bodice Block

Maggie Sotero Gown

Client Block

No comments:

Post a Comment